- Periodic Assessment of Nutrient intakes, Health and Nutrition status of the population for optimal health, and assist the Government and regulatory bodies in policy making
- Establishment of Dietary Reference Intake values, Recommended Dietary allowances, Dietary guidelines for Indian population; and assessment of Nutrient Composition of Foods
- Identify various nutrition deficiency disorders prevalent among different segments of the population
- Conduct operational research for planning and implementation of National Nutrition Programmes in the country
- Conduct surveys and study the risk factors of NCDs through multidisciplinary research
- Conduct innovative basic science Research on nutrient interactions, requirements, responses etc
- Identify and study food and environmental safety challenges for providing scientific input for policy and regulation.
- Development of human resource in nutrition and also provide evidence-based nutrition knowledge to the community